Sunday, August 16, 2015

Visiting the Baguio Lourdes Grotto - Things to Do in Baguio City

The Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto is located in Dominican Hill, Baguio City. The shrine was constructed to commemorate the apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary to Bernadette Soubirous, a young French girl in the town of Lourdes, France in 1858. The Grotto is a favorite destination for devotees to practice their faith and to celebrate special Catholic events.

our lady of lourdes grotto in dominican hill, baguio city
The entrance to the Grotto
(Mobile Photography)


On your way up to the Grotto, you can find stalls selling souvenirs, snacks and refreshments. Since I felt thirsty after an exhausting climb, I bought myself a bottle of water.

shops at the our lady of lourdes grotto
 Stalls near the Grotto
(Mobile Photography)


I also found this head sculpture of Philippus II of Spain, who the Philippines was named after.

king philippus ii (philip ii) of spain
King Philip II of Spain
(Mobilie Photography)


After the short stopover, I continued climbing up. Now, I found this big statue of Jesus Christ, The Risen Lord.

the risen lord statue at the lourdes grotto
The Risen Lord
(Mobile Photography)


A few steps away from The Risen Lord, you will see a chapel. The Kapilya nina Jesus at Maria (Chapel of Jesus and Mary).

kapilya nina jesus at maria (chapel of jesus and mary)

kapilya nina jesus at maria at the our lady of lourdes grotto
Kapilya nina Jesus at Maria
(Mobile Photography)


Finally, I reached the Grotto. It was an exhilarating experience! I felt that the uphill climb through the stairs was all worth it.

our lady of lourdes - tota pulchra es maria
The Lourdes Grotto
(Mobile Photography)


Tota Pulchra es, Maria in Latin means "You are completely beautiful, Maria". It is a line in an old Catholic prayer, Tota Pulchra Es, which speaks of the Immaculate Conception.

Finally, if you're asking me how many steps I counted? I counted 296 from where I stood while taking this picture.

our lady of lourdes grotto grounds
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto grounds
(Mobile Photography)


Visiting the Lourdes Grotto is one of the excellent things to do in Baguio City.

No comments:

Post a Comment